Saturday, October 3, 2015

New Life Breathed into Old Guest Room

 
 
 
Yes!  I'm back.  :)  I had a crazy-busy summer and am now excited to be back to blogging.  Recently my friend asked me to help her with the guest room in her 100 year old house.  First, she wanted an old iron headboard.  I was at a garage sale and found this one.  I'm guessing that it was originally the foot board, as it wasn't too tall, but she added some pipes to it to raise it to a great height. 
 
 

The headboard did have a great patina of rust, but this is a guest room that her grandkids will be sleeping in, so the rusty patina had to be cleaned up.  We got my husband to clean it up completely using a wire brush attachment on his drill.  We then primed it,  painted it white, then dabbed on a brown stain to age it.





 
 
 
 
Next, she needed a bedside table.  Back to recruiting my husband.  He built this one the exact dimensions that she needed for a small space.

 
 
She wanted a pop of yellow in the room, so chose this color.
 
 
 
 
She found the table at HomeGoods and the slipper chair at SteinMart.  The duvet and the rest of the bedding are from Pottery Barn and Pier1.





 Several months ago, she found this picture of a piece of numbered artwork in the Pottery Barn catalog.
source

 Not long after that,
I was at Pick Your Plum (love that place!!) and found a bunch of metal numbers in a dollar bin.  I knew they needed to come home with me!

I found an old frame at a garage sale and besides reinforcing the corners, I didn't really do anything with it.  I loved the aged look of it.
 

I painted a piece of hardboard a bright white, then used epoxy glue to attach the numbers to the board.  But, once it was up, it was too stark, so back down it came and some stain was rubbed over the whole thing to age it.


 
 
 
 

 










 
 
 
 
Now she has a room that works for her grandkids as well as anyone else who visits.  I think it turned out so cute!

Thanks for your visit.
Pam




I am linking to the following parties:



Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home



8 comments:

  1. Wow! It looks fabulous and you came up with some great finds. I adore the number artwork and the yellow side table! Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new room. So many great ideas and some beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It l ooks great. The pop of yellow, the numbers artwork and the frame all add a nice touch of happiness to the room. And your husband was very nice to do all that work as well, he's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How fun to help your friend create a guest room retreat! I have a headboard just like that, has been sitting in my garden cottage for a few years waiting for me to decide what to do with it. Your Mr. is so talented, adorable little side table, they are so hard to find that size. Welcome back from the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the room so much! Your hubby is so awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it all!
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. This guest room looks amazing. Those numbers on the board is really working pretty well and the table lamp is so cool! This will surely encourage others to do some of their own room makeovers or even home builders in Missouri. Again, thank you for this post.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.