Saturday, June 6, 2015

Transferring a Graphic onto Wood-Turning a $6 Investment into a Cute Piece

 
 
Since I started working a few years ago, my crafting has been limited, but recently I decided to use some new graphics (purchased on Etsy for $1) and transfer them onto a little dresser.
 
 
I started with this $5 garage sale find.  Sorry, I thought I took a good 'before' picture, but didn't...  But, you can probably figure that the drawers looked just like the rest of the piece.
 
 
We sanded down the entire piece.
 
 
 
 
 
I  took a mirror image of a laser copy (if you only have an ink jet printer, just take it to Kinko's or a similar place and get a copy made--they use laser copiers).  I printed off three copies-one for each drawer.


 

 I taped the graphic on each of the drawers.  I barely dabbed Citra-Solv on the paper.  (I found Citra-Solv at Whole Foods)  If you put too much Citra-Solv on, it'll smear.  I rubbed a piece of plastic very carefully over the graphic, but again, I tried not to smear it. 


 

 



 
 
 
 
I carefully lifted off the paper and let each drawer dry.
 
 
 
 
I put MinWax Pre-stain over the entire piece, as pine tends to get blochy if you don't.  After that dried, I applied a MinWax Natural Stain.

The original drawer pulls were wood.  I worked and worked to sand them down, but they stained up too dark.  I took some brass pulls and painted them black.
 
I've moved it in a couple of different places to see where I'm going to use it.  I think it turned out pretty cute! 
 
Thanks so much for your visit!
 
Pam
 
 
 

I am linking to the following parties:



Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home



3 comments:

  1. Very cute! I can even imagine it with a different transfer in a child's room, or something else for the kitchen on cupboards. So many possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Pam, love the graphic you chose.
    Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY!
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's really cute...Great idea! it's brilliant :)


    xoxo Amanda@Entreprises Jean Milord

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.