Saturday, December 20, 2014

Make a STATEment with this Project

I've seen these string art maps on Pinterest, so decided to make one for a good friend for Christmas this year.
 
 
I started out on eBay buying a map of Oregon. 
 
 
 
I then copied it (so I could use the original more than once).  I had to copy it in two pieces, then tape it together.  I cut the copy right up to the edge of the state line.  My husband made a board and stained it dark.
 
 
I then nailed these #18 3/4" Escutcheon Pins right along the edge of the paper.  I hit each nail about 5 times so it stayed, but still stuck out enough to hold the string.
 
I used a popsicle stick to keep the distance of each nail equal.
 
 
Once I got done with the outline, I found a heart online and taped it to the middle of the board.  I nailed around it. I didn't use a stick in between these nails, as I needed to get them close together.  I just eyed it.
 
 
 
 
I started in the upper left corner.  I then wrapped string from the edge of the state to the heart.  I did one wrap along the state lines and about 4-5 on each heart nail. 
 
 
When I got back to the upper left corner, I tied the string in a couple of knots then applied some Krazy glue to the knots.  I cut the string as close as I could and called the job done! 



 
I love the way it turned out and my friend who received it loves it too!
 
 
Thanks for your visit!
 
Pam
 
 
 
 
I am linking to the following parties:
 
 
 

Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home


 
 

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful job, Pam! Such a sweet and thoughtful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! You always make such wonderful, thoughtful gifts! Love you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This project turned out great! I love how you incorporated the heart in the middle. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.