We recently took carpet out of the Mancave and laid acacia hardwood. See it HERE. It turned out so nice. The next step was redoing the stairs up to that room. We have walnut throughout our main living, so we decided to make the new stairs out of walnut. Both woods are fairly close in looks, but we wanted to make sure that the stairs matched the main living area as closely as possible.
The stairs have a landing in the middle. My husband came up with this ingenious solution to make the landing look good from both directions.
Here's how he did it:
Lots of specific cuts.
Filler was applied to all of the wood so it would fill in any cracks (haha--hence the name FILLER!) :) But also to keep the stain consistent.
Here is the before. Not bad carpet, but we didn't want to have wood on both floors, then carpet in the middle...
Pieces of walnut glued up.
Filler applied to everything.
All of the carpet, staples, pad, etc removed.
All of the bullnose had to be cut off of the old stair treads. It was SO messy in our entire house!!
My husband made up this jig so that all of the angles would be cut perfectly.
The first step was the hardest as it had the edges sticking out. It had to be perfect!
All of the stair treads and risers were put on. Liquid Nails was used to hold the stairs down. The weights stayed on overnight to adhere the glue to the bases.
The edges were put on the bottom stair and finished it off nicely.
This project took about four weekends. It is so nice to have the stairs done and have the house clean again!
Thank you for your visit.