Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Cute Little Topiaries



I love topiaries and had almost everything on hand to make some.  I have seen lots of blog posts on making them, so decided to try them myself.  It was a fun project.

I used the following materials:

  • terracotta pots
  • 2 1/2" styrofoam balls
  • 5/16" dowel
  • small block of styrofoam
  • bag of soft moss
  • bag of green moss
  • white paint
  • brown antique paint
  • glue gun and lots of glue sticks
  • foam brush

I started by painting the pots lightly with white paint,  then wiped some off using a damp paper towel.  I then applied some of the brown antique paint on very lightly.




I painted the dowels with the brown antique paint. I cut them to about 7".   I stuck the dowel into the center of the foam ball.  I added some hot glue in the hole to hold it.



I used the glue gun to apply hot glue in sections over the styrofoam ball.  I put the soft moss on it, using my hand to make sure it stuck.  (and tried to keep from burning the heck out of my hand)  :)  Once I got all of the moss on, I trimmed it a bit to make it into a ball shape.


 






 


I cut up pieces of the block of styrofoam and stuck it in the pot as tightly as I could. (This picture doesn't show the styrofoam wedged in the bottom of the pot, but it should)   I drizzled lots of hot glue in there to hold everything in place.  I then stuck the bottom of the dowel into the center.  


 
 I applied more glue, then stuck the green moss on top.





And here is the finished product.  I'm very happy with the way they turned out.  It was a messy project, but so satisfying!












Thanks so much for visiting and following my blog!





33 comments:

  1. Those look great!!! I agree they can be messy. I recently made some and I was finding pieces of moss around my kitchen island (my craft workspace) for days :D

    Shelley
    www.westermanfam.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really cute. I was just thinking today that I need some green on my mantel and these would be perfect. Now I have a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, Topiaries can be very expensive! Your tutorial is fabulous. Easy to follow and the topiaries turned out wonderfully!
    I would love to make topiaries for a table I am setting. Putting one at each place setting would be such a sweet welcome.
    I am bookmarking this great tutorial!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love topiaries and yours are soooo adorable... they will make any vignette look beautiful. Loved your detailed tutorial.Great post! Have a lovely evening.Hugs~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cute, Pam!...Christine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just perfect Pam! I love the white washed pots!

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love topiaries, too, Pam, and these turned out cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oo I can see my fireplace lined with these cuties! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your sweet comments on my barndoor headboard.
    Blessings
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  9. Precious moss topiaries Pam. I always enjoy decorating with them as well. Your room looks beautiful.

    Warmly, ~Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are perfect. I love that you used the moss...it looks very real. Thank you for linking up to Open House Party Thursday. I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi sweet Pam!!! Adorable...you did such a good job! Thanks for the "how to!"
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love topiaries, yours look great. I made some a few years ago, like you say the mess is worth the reward of the finished project. Love, love, love your scale.. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are adorable Pam! I love making topiaries, too! I will be making some for my Christmas items in my shop! Too much fun!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hugs,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pam, I love topiaries too and these little ones are just too cute. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was looking for some cute topiaries. Maybe I should make my own. Love how these turned out. Stopping by from Feathered Nest.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your point is valueble for me. Thanks!

    My site:
    rachat de credits www.rachatdecredit.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. The topiaries look beautiful! I was hoping for the courage to try myself for a long time since I am also a fan and I guess your post is the courage I need:) Hope mine will look as pretty as yours:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So easy and cute! Thank you for sharing. Followed you from miss mustard seed.
    Mandy
    www.projectqueen.org

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great job on your topiaries. They look great. Love your old scale!

    ReplyDelete
  20. They turned out really well, they look so nice on your table. Well Done!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your little topiary pots are AH-dorable. I like terra cotta pots that are aged. Thanks for the tutorial and sharing the materials you used to make them look like that! *love* them....

    ReplyDelete
  22. You did a great job with these topiaries. I'm your neighbor at BNOTP.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks great. Looking forward to seeing you at My Dream Canvas.

    ReplyDelete
  24. They look great! That vintage scale you have is gorgeous! What perfect vignettes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Pam theses turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So cute Pam! I can't get enough of topiaries -especially in clay pots!

    HMM!

    love, kelee

    ReplyDelete
  27. So cute~ love them! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment.